Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Vancouver Weekend #1

I went to Vancouver this weekend to spend time with my cousin Megan. She lives in Kitsilano, one block from the beach and maybe 3 blocks from some incredible shopping. She has a Safeway just up the road, along with a Cobbs and a Shoppers Drug Mart. If I lived in that area, I would never have money. Sean was supposed to hang out with us, but when I was boarding the ferry Saturday morning, he sent me a text stating that he was at the airport going away for a job and that he hoped we would have fun. I replied asking him where he was going and what he was doing but I never heard back from him. It is now four days later and I still have not heard back from him. This is not unusual for Sean, but I can’t help but worry about my brother. I assume he is in an area with no cell reception, probably in a remote oil field in Alberta. What a stinker.

But Meg and I had a great time. We did so much shopping (I’m scared to get my VISA bill) but I finally got some new jeans and a coat. The weather on Saturday was gorgeous, so we walked from her house to Granville Island and wandered around. Then we took a ferry (see pic) to Yaletown and shopped around and then had drinks on the roof of the Keg. We went out for dinner later that night and we did more shopping on Sunday. It was a lot of fun and so nice to get out of Victoria for a weekend and I got to see the remains of all the Olympic celebration sites. Meg is now on her way to Portugal for a friend’s wedding, so I’m trying not to be jealous. Meg’s husband Mike (a pilot for Air Canada) was out of town all weekend, so we had the house to ourselves. They haven’t lived in it very long and they are renovating it bit by bit but it’s a very nice condo and they’ve done a great job with it so far. I absolutely loved my room, it was bright and the bed was super comfy.

It sucked to come home, but I plan on going back to Vancouver next weekend to see Jyo, so there will be another fun weekend. I went for a run yesterday afternoon and about halfway through it started to hail. It was very cold, so I’m not surprised. By the time I got back to my car, my hands were blocks of ice. By the time I got back to my house, the hail had turned into giant snowflakes! They didn’t stay but it was very odd weather. I can’t help but remember that it snowed on Jamie’s birthday last year (as I was leading groups of girls on a scavenger hunt outside for her birthday party), but it was much worse then, as the snow actually stayed. I remember I had to put 2 dozen 9 year-old girls’ socks in the dryer once we went back inside for cake. Of course no one thought to dress for snow! Anyway, it was a fun weekend and I hope to visit her again soon. In fact, Janice and I are planning to go to Vancouver to visit Meg one weekend in May, so that will be a crazy fun time.

No comments: