Monday, March 22, 2010

A different kind of run

Yesterday was a gorgeous spring day, so I decided to go for a run. I always run the same route, Galloping Goose in Colwood. It's a great path and there is even a place for me to park my car. Anway, I decided to go in a different direction than normal, since I'm not runing for time I didnt think it would matter to hit the lights that come with the other direction. So I took off down the hill and up ahead of me was a cop car, two cops and plenty of yellow tape. Uh-oh, I assumed some kids had gone joyriding and had crashed their car into the ditch. Not even close. The cop stopped me and said that they were doing an investigation in light of the recent event. I didn't know what he was talking about and when he asked "didn't you hear about it on the news?" I shook my head. I never watch the news, I always read it online and never on the weekends. Anyway, he told me they had found a body in the creek by the bridge and they didnt know if it was a suicide, natural causes or murder and wouldn't classify it until they got the coroner's results. At this, I stopped the clock on my NikePlus. He then asked me a bunch of questions such as "how often do you run here, when was the last time you ran across this bridge, have you noticed anything suspicious lately, etc." Of course the day I decide to run the bridge route! I told him I hadn't as I just started running again recently and always in the opposite direction of the bridge. He was really nice and took my information and then told me I could proceed across the bridge ( I saw on the other side there was another cop car and cops). I told him I would rather not and he smiled and said it was 'perfectly fine,' but it was anything but. I told him I would stick to my normal route (and find a new one ASAP). Anyway, needless to say I had a shitty run.

When I got home later that night, I called Jan to tell her and she freaked out because Colin said it was a 20 year old female (BS as the age has not been identified as anything but 'young'). She told me that from now on when I run, I should text them before and after. It sounds rather extreme to me and uneccessary as I always run in the day and there are plenty of people around. However, for the next little bit I will run closer to home.

I looked up the news online late last night and the papers are eager to call it a 'homicide.' I dont know if that is truth and the policeman didn't want to freak me out or if they are just assuming it. It was a young women's body but nothing more has been said.

This afternoon I went on facebook and noticed a Victoria friend of mine had joined a club about a missing girl. The date caught my eye because it was within the time period. I clicked on the link for more information and an 18 year old girl from Colwood has been missing since the 18th. I feel completely sick about it and I really, truly hope the body is not this girl. I guess in the end its someone's daughter or friend or sister. I hope they find whoever did it so the family can have some closure. I know a few girls through friends who are missing right now, it's so very sad.

*Update: The missing girl has been identified as the one I mentioned above. I removed her name so that I would not offend anyone. My deepest condolences to her family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i know the person that found the body and they said in the position the body was in they assumed that she was raped killed and then burned and there was 2 girls that went missing the same night in the same area and were more than likly 2gether i have gone to school with kimmy since kindergarden and her parents and brother are both verry worried any info even little things phone the police or crime stoppers

Samantha said...

There are sick people out there and I hope they find the person responsible for this so her family can have closure. My deepest condolences to you and her family, as I know she has been identified as the victim. I hope they find her friend safe and sound.