Friday, March 05, 2010

Starting over yet again

Okay, it really sucks to start running again. Everytime I stop, I kick myself because I know how hard it will be to start again. It doesnt matter how good of a runner you were before, starting after 4 months off really kills a person.

I had my first run in a long time on Sunday. I only ran 3k and I was breathing heavy. Pretty disappointing. I ran again on Wednesday, which was a horrible run filled with cramps. I figured that I was starting off too fast. My pace was 5'30 and that is ridiculous for a beginner! So I slowed down to 6'00 and that was difficult too. I couldn't find a steady pace. One second I was running 6'40, the next 5'30, but finally I managed to get into a good 6'00 pace. And it was a good run. I'm almost up to running 5k, hopefully this weekend I can manage it. By the end of next week, I should be fine running 5k. I'm not too worried about my pace right now, I just need to get comfortable running again. The pace will improve eventually.

This weekend I am going to Vancouver to spend the weekend with my cousin and great friend Megan. She's been running her whole life and can hold a conversation with you while she runs a marathon-she's that good! Anyway, she's promised to do a short run with me this weekend and we will probably meet up with Sean at some point. I really need to get out of Victoria for the weekend, it is so boring in this city, no one ever wants to do anything but stay at home. I'll try to remember to take pictures and then maybe post a blog about our weekend. Her husband is out of town, so we may get a little crazy!

3 comments:

Mom said...

Go crazy girl and have a ton of fun!

W said...

what do you use to monitor your speed and distance?

Samantha said...

I use the NIKEPLUS wristband. The chip attaches to my shoe and communicates with the wristband to tell me my pace, etc.