Thursday, March 06, 2008

Mardi Gras (Blow my whistle Bitch!)

So Sat night was Mardis Gras here in Sydney Australia and it was a blast! I had to work that day but they let me off at 4 so that I could join in the fun. Luckily my employers live next to Oxford street and the parade was on that street so I walked along and then met up with my flat mate Cassie and our friends Katie and Saskia. Because I had been working, we had to stop and get me some food and I...wait for it...ate street-meat (Pete would be proud). I was so hungry and this man was bbqing sausages (barf) and chicken and beef kebabs and I bought a chicken kebab (skeptical that it was chicken but please remember I was starving) and he put it on a giant hot dog bun with onions, tomato sauce (they dont call it ketchup here) and mustard. I have never tasted anything so divine. It was so good that the girls decided to get one too. It just happens that the guy had planted himself outside a bakery which was housing some divine cheesecake...so we all split cheesecake and it was one of the best spur-of-the-moment meals I have ever had. Mmmm.

The parade was crazy, the streets were wild. You can see me trying to get a shot in the picture to the left. Never have I ever seen so many people in one place before. Men in skirts, fairy costumes, glitter and make-up like you wouldn't believe.Everyone was dressed wildly and drinking openly. Of course we joined in with THAT! lol. The first bottle shop (liquor store) that we came across we loaded our bags up with liquor. There were so many drag queens and men in assless chaps that after an hour I got used to it. It was hard to see huge men in heels (walking better than I do). Still it was great fun. I loved how everyone was so friendly to one another and willing to share view space for the parade. We were watching the parade and then looked up and a massive...flock? of bats were flying overhead and it was really cool. It was a beautiful night, perfect for a parade. We could have done without the fat man shaking his, um...tenders at the audience, poor Katie's eyes popped out of her head over that. But really, anything went that night and people were topless, pantless, and really over-the-top. It was hilarious. The parade theme this year was 'worlds' and there were some incredible floats, over 200 apparently but we didnt stay to see them all. (Dykes on bikes)


After awhile we left the parade and hit up a pub called The Three Wise Monkey's and it was real nice, 3 floors with live music and we met some Kiwi guys but they were rather weird so we ditched them and then went and had dinner before catching the bus home. Poor Cassie, her feet were covered in blisters and I had shin splints so bad. We did so much walking it was crazy. Apparently it was the largest turn out for Mardis Gras Sydney's ever had. I'm so glad that I was there for it.
Check out the fairy! LOL

No comments: