Monday, May 01, 2006

Evolution!


Oh my GOD! I hate to take the name of the Lord in vain...oh wait, no I dont. Anyway...
Okay, here is a funny story. I was invited to go out with my friend Rachel and a couple of her girlfriends to a club called EVOLUTION last Wednesday night. I had to work the next day but it was a celebration of the fini of finals and I so desperately needed a night out. It was girls only and we had so much fun. Rachel told me to meet them at the club at 9, which I thought was early and she told me this at 8:15 when I wasn't even ready! So in record time I was downtown (okay, 9:15pm) and walking the 4 blocks or so to get there. Now, several people told me it was in shady part of town...I didn't meet a single person and it didnt look to shabby. Yet I have been in the best of places in Calgary at night and you meet the scariest individuals. Whatever, I'm a city girl now and nothing can scare me! Anyway, I got to the club and no one was there!! I don't just mean my friends, I mean no one.It was kind of weird. The club had just opened and there was no cover before 10, so I walked in and met no one. The music was going (yeah retro night!) ha ha and there were lights and smoke and all but it was the smallest club I have ever seen! Once again, being accustomed to the multiple level clubs in Calgary....

I didn't want to look like an idiot sitting by myself in a deserted club so I went over and started chatting it up with the (very cute I might add) bartender. His name was Joe and he has been working there for 10 years, even thought he is only 24. I bought a drink and a friend of his walked in. Now, his friend was a very intimidating man on first look. He was older..30ish maybe and he had long hair, he was big and looked like a bouncer. Joe invited me over to talk to them and so I sat down. I discovered that the man was J-man and he owned the tatoo shop accross the street. Well, that explained the tatoos of the naked women on his arms! He was really sweet though and made me feel comfortable right away! I met the DJ, the other bartender (Vinny) and the server (Jennifer). I chatted with them for an hour before my friends came (apparently they were waiting outside for me...oops!) I thanked them kindly for keeping me company and we went and sat down at a table. Two minutes later Jennifer brought me over a drink from Joe and J-man! I met Rachel's friends and they were so nice and we had a lot of fun together. I made sure to stop by the bar and say hi to J-man, Jennifer and Joe occasionnally. We danced for hours and everytime I went to the bar, my drink was on Joe. I know he has a girlfriend but he was really kind. I tipped him really well at the end of the night and he took my hand and asked me to come back. I promised I would and I will. It was a great night and made me feel really good to have made some friends. I think the whole night was halarious and so unlike me. I dont just approach people and start chatting it up with strangers in a club. That's not me! But I guess it was that night and it worked out ok! I recommend you do the same! All in all, it was a really great night.

3 comments:

Ptilonyssus said...

Dancing Queen...

Lise B said...

sounds like you had a good time, woohoo!

Anonymous said...

Brave girl...I would be too chicken to do that...LOL