Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Where are all the Canadians?

I am very blessed to live in the country of Canada. We have running water, paved streets, crime is relatively low and we are not ruled by a dictatorship. I can appreciate these aspects because I have travelled quite a bit and I’ve seen how it is in other countries.

At the Central Train Station in Paris, the guards walk around with guns. I was a wide-eyed nineteen year-old at the time I witnessed that. What country needed guards with guns? Only a month later I was confronted by an angry guard on a train, demanding to see my passport and as he leaned past me to check the other passengers, his gun was within inches of my face. I was terrified. However, I had no reason to be. Although he spoke little English (I was in Hungary), the guard smiled nicely at me and said, “Canadian.” It was a statement, not a question. More than a statement, it was a respected recognition. Yes, many, many times I have been thankful that I am Canadian (especially since they threw a guy in the next car off the train and we were in the middle of nowhere).

Being recognized as a Canadian comes with certain expectations and assumptions…one being that we are very polite, laid-back people. I wish I could say this was true. More and more these days I am seeing anger, indifference and just plain rudeness. People no longer pause to consider anyone but themselves.

In rush hour I have to be very aware, as people are not afraid to cut you off, cut in line or run red lights. Everyone is in such a hurry these days that speed limits are never obeyed and pedestrians are cut-off at the cross-walk. I am not a perfect driver, yes I have been guilty of speeding, but in the past year I haven’t. I realized that I am not in a hurry to get through a day in this life, nor do I wish to end it for anyone else.

Rudeness transcends into sanitary issues. I have trained myself to automatically hold my breath when I walk by people. Yes, people. Not just smokers. I’m terribly afraid someone will cough, sneeze, spit or blow smoke in my general direction. This never used to be a problem, but nowadays people never cover their mouths or turn away from the general public. It’s disgusting. And we blame pigs for the swine flu? Who are the real pigs?

When I was a kid, people said hi to one another on the streets-whether they knew that person or not. Doors were held open as you went in and out of stores. People actually acknowledged one another by making eye contact, instead of looking down at their phone or iPod. As a human race, we are being consumed by another race-technology. We are no longer the dominant species. But I don’t blame technology for our lack of manners. I’m not sure what to blame, maybe we just have to blame ourselves. Is it just me who notices this change, am I too expectant for us to live up to our reputation?

Canada is a country that has built up this identity of being polite. But as I live each day among the general public, I can’t help but wonder, where are all the Canadians?

1 comment:

Mom said...

We are here, just wrapped up in our lives and not caring for others. It is sad. I try each day to say hi and smile at everyone I meet. A smaller town is a lot more receptive I am finding.