Thursday, September 17, 2009

Running pains

I am still running, but I'm not doing a great job at this half-marathon training. I only ran a total of 16k last week. I ran a 6k and a 10k and both went really well. Unfortunately I've had a lot of shoulder pain and when I reach 7k its unbearable and I nearly died finishing my 10k. My neck actually fizzed for the last 3k and I had to take two advil and lie on the floor for an hour before I could move after that run. I have ran two 6k's this week and they went well, but at 6k my shoulder starts to feel as though its carrying bricks, so painful I can barely stand it! I have booked a massage therapy appointment and I'm hoping right after I will be relaxed enough to run 12k with no pain. Next week I need to do a long run of 14k and then 16k the following week and so on. I only have 3.5 weeks left to train, so I have to keep at it. I figure if I can run a 16k comfortably, then I can push it for the last 5k. This is my hope.

Janice has totally surprised me. She is actually kicking my ass at her training. But I'm afraid she is doing too much too soon, she ran 17k one day after not much training and I'm worried she is going to injure herself, she does have a history of knee problems. Still, I'm really proud she ran 17k and she is kicking my ass with the running, which has pushed me to be more dedicated to my runs. However, we have both decided never to run a half-marathon again. Just 8k and 10ks on a regular basis, something that is challenging enough to keep us running, but not too much to make us want to quit (like I'm kind of feeling now...).

No comments: